So you want to organise a Pirate Day Friday but don’t know where to start. Here are our top tips to help you get your crew and ship in shape.
The elevator pitch
People will look at you in disbelief when you say you want to dress up as a pirate on 9 June. And they’ll quickly shy away when you suggest they do likewise. That is unless of course you know the important facts to sell the Pirate Day Friday campaign to them in less time than it takes to go from Ground to Level 1.
This is what you need to know:
- Pirate Day Friday was a concept conceived in tragic circumstances when, in 2014, Nathan Colgan of Perth, learned his son, Conor (then aged 5), had an aggressive brain tumour.
- Now in its third year, Pirate Day Friday is a national initiative to raise awareness and funds for research into the treatment and cure of childhood brain cancer.
- More than 100 children aged 0-14 die from cancer in Australia each year.
- One in 4 of these deaths is a child with brain cancer.
- In 2016, over 500 schools and early learning centres across the country along with workplaces like Bayer and whole town of Malanda in Far North Queensland got involved.
- All funds raised in partnership with The Adventurers and The Kids’ Cancer Project are directed towards vital childhood brain cancer research.
Backed by the boss
With the people at the top supporting you on this venture, you’ll be able to gather more cohorts, plaster posters around the place, post messages on the intranet, items in newsletters and most importantly, you’ll be able to ask them to match your donations. Yarr!
Ready to register
Now you’re ready to register! Fill in the sign-up form (have a guess at how many people will be participating) and you’re on your way.
Campaign for a cause
Mid-May, make it your mission to download the official poster artwork.
Print and pop these up all around your town, workplace or school so everyone knows what to wear on 9 June. Spread the word to get as many people involved as possible – think company announcement, general assembly, newsletter, intranet, social media group page.
Fresh way to fundraise
Download and print this fun treasure chest which you can cut out, stick together and use to collect gold coin donations from everyone who has dressed up. Alternatively, you can join us in fundraising online!
Buccaneer bake sale
Collecting gold coins on 9 June is what Pirate Day Friday is all about. But if you want to take your fundraising efforts one step further, enlist the dough punchers among your crew to bake pirate inspired treats. Sea biscuit anyone? Sounds jolly, Roger. There are loads more ideas here.
Weigh anchor and set sail
Pirate Day Friday is a fun day for everyone. Spend the day sharing pirate puns, singing sea shanties and posing for photos, all while raising money for childhood brain cancer research! For anyone who forgot their pirate duds, download, print, cut out and make an eye patch and bandana!