HOW TO TURN LANDLUBBERS INTO PIRATES
So you want to organise a Pirate Day Friday but don’t know where to start? Here are our top tips to help you get your crew and ship in shape.
The elevator pitch
People will look at you in disbelief when you say you want to dress up as a pirate the second Friday in June. And they’ll quickly shy away when you suggest they do likewise. That is unless of course you know the important facts to sell the Pirate Day Friday campaign to them in less time than it takes to go from Ground to Level 1.
This is what you need to know:
- Pirate Day Friday is an annual national day of dressing up to raise awareness and much-needed funds of childhood brain cancer.
- It started in 2014 when Nathon Colgan, a perth dad was driven to do something to help his son Conor and others like him who are diagnosed with the disease.
- More than 190 children aged 0-14 die from cancer in Australia each year.
- Almost half of these deaths are related to a child with brain cancer.
- In 2017, the Australian Government expected brain cancer to be the third most commonly diagnosed cancer in people aged 0-24.
- All funds raised through Pirate Day Friday (partnership betweend The Adventurers and The Kids’ Cancer Project) are directed towards vital childhood brain cancer research.
Backed by the boss
With the people at the top supporting you on this venture, you’ll be able to gather more cohorts, plaster posters around the place, post messages on the intranet, items in newsletters and most importantly, you’ll be able to ask them to match your donations. Yarr!
Ready to register
Now you are ready to register! Fill in the sign-up form (have a guess at how many people will be participating) and you’re on your way.
Campaign for a cause
Mid-May, make it your mission to download the official poster artwork.
Print and pop these up all around your town, workplace or school so everyone knows what to wear on the second Friday in June. Spread the word to get as many people involved as possible – think company announcement, general assembly, newsletter, intranet, social media group page.
Fresh way to fundraise
Download and print this fun treasure chest which you can cut out, stick together and use to collect gold coin donations from everyone who has dressed up. Alternatively, you can join us in fundraising online!
Buccaneer bake sale
Collecting gold coins is what Pirate Day Friday is all about. But if you want to take your fundraising efforts one step further, enlist the dough punchers among your crew to bake pirate inspired treats. Sea biscuit anyone? Sounds jolly, Roger. There are loads more ideas here.
Weigh anchor and set sail
Pirate Day Friday is a fun day for everyone. Spend the day sharing pirate puns, singing sea shanties and posing for photos, all while raising money for childhood brain cancer research! For anyone who forgot their pirate duds, download, print, cut out and make an eye patch and bandana!